Full of superfood goodness, this salad is easy to make at home
Kale serves as the foundation of this fresh and flavorful salad, but it’s the bite-sized ingredients that really steal the show. The power combo of superfoods – blueberries, pumpkin seeds, quinoa and walnuts – are a big win for both your taste buds and your wellbeing.
“Walnuts and pumpkin seeds are full of healthy fats that help keep us full and energized throughout the day, while blueberries are filled with fiber, vitamin C and cancer-fighting compounds,” says Clara Norfleet, a registered dietician and inspiration to thousands of health-seeking cooks on Instagram. Add quinoa for an extra punch of protein, and you’ve got a well- balanced meal or snack.
“Walnuts and pumpkin seeds are full of healthy fats that help keep us full and energized throughout the day.”
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup blueberries
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 bunch kale, chopped
2 tablespoons Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing, divided (recipe below)
1. Rinse quinoa. Transfer to medium pot with one cup water. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to simmer. Cover and allow to cook for 15-18 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
2. While quinoa cooks, wash berries. Transfer to large bowl along with walnuts and goat cheese.
3. Wash and chop kale. Massage kale with 1 ½ tablespoons Lemon Vinaigrette until softened.
4. Transfer cooked quinoa to large bowl with berries, walnuts and goat cheese. Toss with remaining dressing.
5. Top kale with berry, walnut, quinoa and goat cheese mixture. Serve with an extra squeeze of
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in mason jar. Shake vigorous to combine all ingredients. Store in refrigerator.