If you're looking for a different kind of brunch recipe this holiday season, Chick-fil-A chef Christy Cook has an idea for you.
"I need something delicious that I can get started and walk away from to enjoy time with family.”
"I was thinking about breakfast for my own family on Christmas morning when I created this recipe," says Cook. "I need something delicious that I can get started and walk away from to enjoy time with family. Being from the South, I love grits, and slow cooker grits are creamy and comforting with little maintenance required. Grits, like other whole cereal grains made from scratch, are very forgiving and can be paired with so many delicious toppings and inclusions.”
Whether cooking for your loved ones or serving holiday brunch to a crowd, Cook's Holiday Breakfast Bowls recipe just might be the perfect, easy departure from your typical breakfast casseroles and cinnamon rolls.
- 2 cups milk (Chicken stock or water may be substituted for milk.)
- 2½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Nebraska yellow corn grits (or your favorite grits – we like the yellow corn grits for the flavor and color)
- Warm Chick-fil-A Chicken Nuggets, sliced
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Chopped green onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place milk, water, salt, and grits into a slow cooker* on high heat. Stir often. Grits will be ready in 2-3 hours. Cooking times will vary depending on your slow cooker, so be sure to check every once in a while.
- Meanwhile, prepare your choice of toppings. (Chef Christy loves to top with sliced Chick-fil-A nuggets.)
- Once everything is ready, fill some bowls with grits, have fun customizing each bowl with the toppings, and enjoy!
*Don't have time to wait on the slow cooker? The grits can also be prepared on the stovetop.